SourceCrunch » Forums » The Future
joesavage
Joe Savage
6 posts
1 project
A Computer Science student and software developer from England.
#11171 The Future
5 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi there,

If you're reading this, you probably have some kind of interest in SourceCrunch. Well, I have some interesting news for you… as of today, SourceCrunch doesn't really exist anymore. As it turns out, even after revising my progress predictions for the project a few times, they're still way off (read: incredibly optimistic). Writing prose and crafting interactive diagrams is really time consuming, and realistically I don't think I'll be able to complete the 20+ chapter introduction to C programming I've been working on any time soon.

Not only is my final year of university coming right around the corner, but I'm not sure I want to be spending countless hours over the next N years writing. Even if the result is an amazing, high quality introduction to C (which is relatively unlikely given I'm writing it blind and still have a lot to learn about writing and education), I will have spent a lot of time writing about fundamentals that I could have spent doing other things, like reading about new stuff.

As such, my working plan is to release what I've got so far for free on my blog, take a break for a while, and maybe come back to all of this in future. I've already released a working copy of the first part of the series here. It's far from perfect, and there are some further tweaks I still want to make (particularly, working on some feedback I got from Miblo), but I think it's better for it to be out in the open for the time being. I'm also planning to finish and publish the second part, since it's almost complete, and will release that when it's done.

I'm also not quite sure what all this means for this project page, but I guess we'll figure that out somehow.

Thanks,

Joe
swifton
Anton Swifton
16 posts
1 project

PhD Student in Math at the University of South Carolina.

#11221 The Future
5 months, 2 weeks ago

Have you thought about making small lessons instead of a large course? Something like this little tutorial on hexagonal grids:
http://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/
(It's a different kind of interactive, though)

There are many benefits to that:

1. You will get feedback faster and understand what people want better.
2. You can pick topics that you personally find most interesting instead of doing everything that concerns C.
3. You will never feel overwhelmed by small topics (from my experience, this feeling always comes when you have a large project, and it has devastating effects on productivity).
4. You will have easier time competing with experts if you pick a small topic and study it thoroughly rather than writing about something that a lot of people have spent a lifetime doing.
5. You can gradually grow your project into something large, even if you don't start large. It will be probably easier, because you get feedback more frequently.
6. You will feel the satisfaction of having finished something, which always gives a productivity boost.

Now that a bunch of educational projects have been started on the Network, your interactive tutorials might be a good supplement for the lessons. Although, I don't know what is going on behind the curtains, so Abner or someone from the staff will be a better person to ask whether they will.